The conditions in which you live, learn, work and age affect your health. Social determinants such as neighborhood, education and health care can influence your lifelong well-being.
Consider the fact that 46.7 million Americans lived in poverty in 2014, including 15.5 million children. Or that one-fifth of U.S. students don’t graduate with a regular diploma four years after starting 9th grade. And 2.2 million people in the United States are behind bars in jails, prisons and other correctional facilities.
Public health is repositioning itself at the national, state and local levels to focus on social determinants of health. Join us as we explore social determinants of health and how they are being targeted in our multi-part series from The Nation’s Health.
SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH: AN INTRODUCTION
• Cover story: Shift toward social determinants transforming public health work (July 2016)
• Related story: Social determinants take center stage in call for Public Health 3.0 (July 2016)
• Storify report: Get to know social determinants of health (July 2016)
EDUCATION AS SOCIAL DETERMINANT OF HEALTH
• Cover story: Education attainment linked to health education throughout lifespan (August 2016)
• Sidebar: Education makes healthy choices easier, beginning early in life (August 2016)
• Storify report: Education is a lifelong social determinant of health (August 2016)
HOUSING AS SOCIAL DETERMINANT OF HEALTH
•Cover story: Healthy, safe housing linked to healthier, longer lives: Housing a social determinant of health (September 2016)
•Sidebar: Medicaid, Medicare making the move toward social determinants (September 2016)
• Sidebar: Organizations nationwide focusing on social determinants (September 2016)
• Storify report: Housing: A foundation for health (September 2016)
INCOME INEQUALITY AS SOCIAL DETERMINANT OF HEALTH
•Cover story: Income inequality: When wealth determines health: Earnings influential as lifelong social determinant of health (October 2016)
•Sidebar: Childhood poverty associated with chronic disease, quality of health (October 2016)
• Related story: Chicago tackles social determinants with four-year vision for healthier city (October 2016)
• Storify report: Lower wages come at cost to public health (October 2016)
Check out our infographics on social determinants of health
Read and share our social determinants of health images on our infographics page
Social determinants of health overview
Education as social determinant of health
Housing as social determinant of health
Income as social determinant of health
Thanks for chatting with us on Twitter about social determinants!
Our Oct. 5 Twitter chat on social determinants of health was a success, with hundreds of participants and more than 1,400 tweets. See highlights in our Storify report or read the transcript.
Resources on social determinants of health
Get more insights into social determinants and how they can influence health and well-being with these partner resources.
• Healthy People 2020
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
• Public Health 3.0
• World Health Organization
• Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
• National Academy of Medicine
• APHA health equity page
Photos courtesy iStockphoto. Women walking by Susan Chiang, students by Monkeybusinessimages